Friday, May 21, 2010

Buttermilk Coffee Cake

The original recipe comes from the "Mennonite Country-Style Recipes and Kitchen Secrets" cookbook.  I discovered this recipe about 6 years ago.  I made it for the first time for our community group from church and it was a huge hit and it was asked for regularly.  Since then, it has become one of my favorite "go-to" recipes.  It is so simple to throw together.  Not to mention, I always have all these ingredients in my pantry.  This is great for Saturday morning brunch or Thursday night dessert!  Just don't forget to serve it with good coffee... it is a must! 

Buttermilk Coffee Cake

2 1/2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 c. brown sugar
3/4 c. white sugar
3/4 c. oil (i have never tried this with butter, i always use canola oil or coconut oil)

Mix these ingredients thoroughly with hands until crumbly.  Reserve 1 1/2 cups of crumbs for the top of cake. 

1 egg
1 c. thick sour milk, buttermilk, or plain yogurt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda

Combine and add to remaining mixture and beat for 2 minutes.  Pour into a greased 9x13 pan and sprinkle with reserved crumbs.  I like to sprinkle with chopped pecans and extra cinnamon as well...  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  This cake is very easy to over bake.  I typically will set my timer for 25 minutes.  Check with a tooth pick for done-ness in the center. 

No comments:

Post a Comment