Monday, March 29, 2010

Chickpea Curry

All you vegetarians out there listen up!  This is so good and you won't believe how incredibly fast and easy this meal is to make!  I whipped this one out in less than 15 minutes and it is so healthy.  I found this recipe randomly on the internet (i don't remember where) and made a few minor changes.  I decreased the cayenne pepper to a 1/2 a tsp. because we have kids and i didn't want to make it too spicy.  But if I were making this only for adults I would go full throttle and put it all in.  It does need a good bit of salt but just keep tasting and use your own judgment.  I will say, this recipe does not make a huge meal so I plan to double it next time so I have leftover for lunch the next day.  

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 onions, minced
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons fresh ginger root, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
2 (15 ounce) cans garbanzo beans
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in pan and saute onions and garlic.  After they become translucent add the spices.  Cook for just a minute.  Then add the beans with liquid from can (or 1/2 c. broth or water). Cook till all is combined and heated through. Before serving stir in cilantro. Serve over rice or couscous.

No comments:

Post a Comment